Actually this refers to a crude rehashing of his own song title that John Cougar Melonhead dashed off in an 80s concert that I wish I couldn't remember. To be perfectly frank, well it is easier to be perfectly Phil actually.. I really wanted to write this about two pressing issues of the day 1) Chimps who tear the faces off people, and of course the logically connected concept of racism.
I will start with the second one. I am sorry, but I in no way believe that that silly cartoon was supposed to have any racist connection. I feel I am pretty sensitive to this issue, ( not oversensitive though) and I think this is another one of those real stretches. The outcry is over it having some connection to Obama I suppose, but where? how ? Congress wrote the bill, and I think the comparison was supposed to be between the keen insight of a rabid chimp and the deep thought behind the stimulus bill. I have to say that I am a lifelong democrat and support the efforts of our new president (who is a decent hard-working man) and congress until they prove unworthy of that support, and maybe even beyond that, because the alternative ( The Pure Evil Party) is something I don't even like to think about, and the rancid damage that it has brought to us all in the last 8 years has been abundantly evinced.
For the cartoon to be connected to Obama via a means other than fearful delusion, there would have to be something more obvious, like the old fashioned editorial cartoonist's trick of writing the words "president" or "Obama" on the character. You know editorial cartoons regularly caricature and twist humans of all descriptions into gargoyles and every zoological species imaginable, and I suppose that is ok, just so no one with a (in my opinion) sweaty overactive imagination can construe the evil of racism being intended. Sure its ok to compare him to a gerbil, that is much more flattering. I really think to find intentional racist lampooning these you would need to embark on a subscription to Nazi Reader's Digest ( there is a fine oxymoron.. and oh no, I might be injuring the delicate sensibilities of Nazis!!!.. and THAT comment might make someone think am Hitler's love child.. Help!!!!! It never stops.) This whole PC business needs to get a job/life YESTERDAY. If someone is breaking the law, arrest them. If they are just being ignorant, or silly, or even deserve the benefit of the doubt- IGNORE them. Really a chimp comparison hits all of us directly in the evolutionary tree... well I'll be a monkey's uncle! No, but maybe a grrrrrrreeeeeaaaaat grand nephew of a Miocene ape. Going back further in the family reunion we all are a kind of a son-of-a -tetrapod. Who cares.
NOW onto the most pressing issue of all, Chimps who rip peoples' faces off. 1) DON'T buy a chimp as a pet, visit him in his natural habitat, the circus. I mean, how could that woman be so silly- sleeping and showering with him? She is a NUT!!! And this brings to mind the general category of people who donut really understand animals: they treat them like substandard humans, or cute li'l kids.....They are animals! Not subservient to you, they have their own right to live their life as they choose. Now if we have a humane, long standing relationship with a species, I think that there is not animal cruelty involved. Dogs got sick and tired of ripping our faces off around the time of the dawn of civilization, and now they milk us ruthlessly for the gravy train that we are. Really it is a kind of mutually rewarding "partnership" and that is ok. SO are humane zoos. I haven't made up my mind about circuses yet. I left gnawing on bones for my breakfast by the wayside myself, so eating my friends is no longer an option. You should cut down on the carcasses too if you are ready to make the decision. Keep it low fat too. I found out vegan doesn't really mean 3 gallons of soy ice cream a day.
ANYWAY, here are some stories we will be reading soon. Man killed by pet Gila monster brushing his teeth after a feeding; Komodo Dragon lashes owner's legs off, while he was trying to change the lizard's lip stick...; Woman rushed to hospital trying to put ballerina outfits in her pet black widows...maybe the worst insult is to compare someone to a human being...
" Everybody's got the right to speak their mind.. so don't shoot me for sayin' mine.." R D. Davies, The Kinks
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment